The Pharmacy Technician primary job is to receive and fill prescription requests for patients. These prescription requests can come from hospitals, physicians, nurses or directly from the patient. Their work is typically overseen by a licensed pharmacist or prescriber.
The pharmacy tech’s job also extends to the daily operation of the pharmacy itself, including interactions with hospitals and patients. Some other, non-medication-related duties include:
- Prepare and process medical insurance claim forms and records
- Supply and monitor robotic machines that dispense medicine into containers, and label the containers
- Transfer medication from vials to the appropriate number of sterile, disposable syringes, using aseptic techniques
- Initiates refill requests
- Maintaining patient profiles
- Answering phones and responding to questions and requests or referring them to the pharmacist for medication information
- Fill bottles with prescribed medications and type and affix labels
- Orders prescriptions drugs and supplies
- Receive and store incoming supplies, verify quantities against invoices, and inform supervisors of stock needs and shortages
- Taking inventory of over-the-counter medications on a monthly basis
- Being aware of the latest medicines and their availability
- Ensures product is rotated, within date, and properly displayed on shelves
- Counts, labels and bags prescription drugs and supplies
- Under the supervision of a Registered Pharmacist/prescriber, enters information into ABACUS/Pharmaserv
- Disposes properly of outdated, discounted and/or unsold merchandise
- Clean, and help maintain, equipment and work areas
- Other duties as assigned
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Minimum of three years’ experience with a Pharmacy Technician Board Certified (PTBC) license and Registered Pharmacy Technician in the State of Florida
- Excellent customer service, verbal, written communication, organizational and multitasking skills
- Fully Bilingual (Spanish and English)
- ABACUS/PHARMASERV prescription program knowledge
- Pharmaceutical terminology and knowledge
- Able to interpret prescriptions
IMPORTANT NOTE FOR INTERNAL CLINICA LAS MERCEDES APPLICANTS
Inform your immediate supervisor that you are applying to any of the positions posted and should be working for more than 1 year in the current position.
If you are interested, please click here to fill out this form.